Skip to content
Strong Michigan venture firms are a critical factor in the success of Michigan startups. With Michigan venture investors backing nearly every Michigan venture-funded startup, the health of our state’s entrepreneurial economy hinges on our ability to provide capital to our high-growth, high-potential companies.
- There are 134 venture-backed companies in Michigan.
- 68 startups received $179 million of venture capital investment in 2017, a 100 percent increase over the last five years.
- $11.4 million was invested in eight Michigan startup companies led by a diverse CEO.
- There are 29 venture capital firms headquartered or with an office in Michigan.
- Total capital under management in Michigan in 2017 was $3.9 billion.
- Every $1 invested in a Michigan startup by a Michigan-based venture capital firm attracts $3.83 of investment from outside of Michigan.
- 472 of venture firms from outside of Michigan have invested in Michigan-based startups, a 376% increase over the last five years.
- There is a total of 87 venture capital professionals and 797 angel investors in Michigan.
- There was $41 million of angel investment in 70 Michigan startups in 2017.